Vision / Objectives
As Nepal is rich in domestic animal diversity, genetic potentialities of indigenous livestock, in terms of disease resistance and adaptability will be conserved and utilized with proper induction of exotic blood. At the same time, low producing, nondescript.
Domestic animals will be upgraded through artificial and natural breeding with exotic breeds- suitable for country’s different eco-zones and suitable new breeds of cattle will be developed using native and exotic blood.
Productivity of domestic animals will be increased to meet domestic demand, and top priority will be given to milk and meat production. As slaughtering of cattle is prohibited in the country, buffalo will be the choice of animal for milk and meat production. Therefore, buffalo will be promoted and propagated in the country. However, as buffalo alone cannot meet the national demand for milk and draft power, upgrading of nondescript cattle with exotic blood level up to 75% will be continued.
1. Long Term Objectives
- Development of suitable breeds of cattle for hill and Terai belts in collaboration with Animal Breeding Division of Nepal Agriculture Research Council (NARC) and Institutes of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- Conservation through utilization of endangered domestic animal genetic resources, such as Yak, Lulu, and Achhamee cattle, Bhyanglung, Baruwal, Kage, and Lampuchhre sheep, Chyangra, and Khari goat, Chwanche, and Hurrah Pig, and Sakini fowl, through sustainable group breeding scheme.
- Increase production and productivity of nondescript animals by cross breeding through artificial and natural breeding.
- Develop establishment of organized resource farms in private sector, for improved animal genetic resource supply, especially, through progeny testing program.
- Substitute import of milk and meat, by increasing domestic production.
2. Short and Medium-term
- Complete characterization, identification, selection, conservation and utilization of indigenous animal genetic resources, for better production and productivity.
- Increase the productivity of cattle and buffalo, through artificial insemination program in road approachable areas, and natural breeding in remote areas.
- Provide technical guidelines for the establishment of improved animal genetic resource (cattle, buffalo, goat, sheep, pig and poultry) centers in private sector.
- Select superior sires and dams of cattle and buffalo bulls to be used for frozen semen production.
- Introduce and practice Embryo Transfer Technology.
- Expand AI coverage through intensive AI program and privatization of AI service in potential areas.